Friday, August 17, 2012

"Don't Fake Your Life"

My oldest daughter tells me that some friends act one way around certain friends and another way around other friends.

This really bothers her.

"I know," I tell her. I'm thinking how much I value authenticity and how long it took me to be myself in my own life. I think I'm still working on this.

She throws her hands up in the air and cries, "Don't fake your life!'"

"Don't fake your life?" I repeat.

"Yeah. Don't fake your life. That's what I want to say to them."

I close my eyes and pray that she never fakes her life. I pray that she always lives out of that true self God made her to be--that girl who throws her hands in the air and cries out in truth.

I pray that I live that way, too.

______________________________
Why do we fake our lives?

2 comments:

David Rupert said...

I always think of the root word for 'hypocrite.' it's really a Greek work for "acting." The early stage performers were ... hypocrites.

God, take me off the stage and give me a broom!

E.B. said...

Many times, it can be hard not to fake your life because you want to impress. It can be hard to resist.